The Church of Santa Maria extra Moenia is located outside the historical center of Antrodoco, along the Via Salaria. The church built on top of a pagan temple, contains frescoes ranging from the 11th to the 15th century. it has been declared a national monument.
Church of Santa Maria Extra Moenia Antrodoco
Address: Via Cotilia, snc – 02013 Antrodoco. Phone: +39 . Opening times: From 08:00 till 11:00. Ticket price: Free. (Note that prices and times may be subject to change.)
History and description
The Chiesa di Santa Maria Extra Moenia was constructed on the ruins of a pagan temple dedicated to the goddess Diana.
Walled-in sculptural elements evidence that some version of the present church already existed in the 9th century.
The gabled facade was renovated in the 19th century.
The portal, parts of which date back to the 13th century, was only inserted into the facade in 1950. The oldest part is the lintel with an Agnus Dei (“Lamb of God”) in its center. The provenance of the portal is unknown.
The old port of the church now graces the Santa Maria Assunta Church in the Piazza del Popolo.
What to see
Three narrow single-lancet windows allow light into the apse, which is decorated with frescoes. The oldest ones were painted in the 11th, the newest ones in the 15th century. The top part depicts “Christ in Glory”, there are two saints between the windows and further down a number of bishop saints can be seen. At the bottom a bull and fish are depicted.
The frescoes in the right aisle date back to the 14th century.