The Palazzo del Conte is an enormous medieval building in the historical center of Scarlino. Part of the building is now the seat of the Monte dei Paschi di Siena bank.
Palazzo del Conte Scarlino
Address: Via Carlo Generale Citerno, 2/12 – Scarlino. The building is private property.
History and description
The Palazzo del Conte was originally constructed for Count Ildebrandino XII Aldobrandeschi. This aristocrat was known under the nickname Conte Rosso.
In 1227, the “Red Count” sold the building, together with the entire municipality, to the maritime Republic of Pisa.
In 1671, the palazzo was acquired by a captain from Livorno.
In the 19th century, the building was divided into smaller units. Some of these were private residences, others commercial spaces.
In 1890, the Palazzo del Conte was returned to its original layout.
The building has four floors. The ground floor is characterized by false portals and a curtain wall.
What to see
The statue in the courtyard was placed there in the early 19th century.