Santa Maria del Carmine alle Tre Cannelle Church Rome
The address of the Chiesa di Santa Maria del Carmine alle Tre Cannelle is Via delle Tre Cannelle – Rome.
History and description
The church was commissioned by Odoardo Farnese. This Cardinal was a kind of patron of the Brotherhood of the Carmine, which did not have its own church but congregated in the San Martino ai Monti Church.
Construction of the church began in 1605. Before the church was built, some granaries belonging to the Abbey of Grottaferrata occupied the site.
The consecration took place in 1623.
After a fire, the church was restored in 1772.
The Baroque façade was designed by Angelo Specchi, in 1750.
The interior consists of a single nave.
The banner on the right altar was the work of Sebastiano Conca. On one side it depicts Mary appearing to Elijah, while the other side also shows Mary, but this time handing a scapular (a shoulder garment worn by monks) to San Simone Stock.
Near the high altar is a copy of an 18th century statue of the “Madonna del Monte Carmelo”.
The painting near the main altar depicts the same person and was made by Gaspare Celio.