The Santissimo Nome di Maria al Foro di Traiano Church is located next to the Santa Maria di Loreto Church in Rome. The facade of the church is graced by a number of prophet statues on the balustrade.
Santissimo Nome di Maria al Foro di Traiano Church Rome
Address, opening times and admission
The address of the Chiesa del Santissimo Nome di Maria al Foro Romano is Piazza della Madonna di Loreto – Rome (tel. +39 066798013). District: Trevi. Bus: 51, 60,63, 80, 81, 83, 85, 117, 118, 160, 170, 628, 810, H, N4, N6, N8, N9, N12, N18, N25. Opening hours: From 10.30am to 1pm and from 4.30pm to 6pm. Closed on Friday. Entrance fee: Free of charge.
History and description
The Santissimo Nome di Maria Church was built in 1736 on the site of the 15th century former San Bernardo Church. The architect was the Frenchman Antoine Dérizet. In 1743 Mauro Fontana and Agostino Musicci took over.
The lower part of the façade is characterized by the columns and pillars flanking the entrance. This part is separated from the upper part by a balustrade.
The drum of the dome has eight pillars between which are the windows.
The interior has a circular floor plan and is characterized by multicolored marble. There are several chapels along the wall.
What to see
The statues on the balustrade depict prophets and evangelists.
The medallions adorning the dome depict events in the life of Mary.
The main altar is graced by a 12th century effigy of the “Virgin and Child” painted on wood.