Scarlino‘s Palazzo Comunale is also known as the Palazzo Pretoria. It was built at the turn of the 11th and 12th centuries. Over the centuries, the palace has always served as a town hall.
Palazzo Comunale Scarlino
Address: Address: Via Martiri d’Istria – Scarlino. Phone: +39 . Opening times: . Ticket price: . (Note that prices and times may be subject to change.)
History and description
The Palazzo Comunale of Scarlino has held several functions in the course of its history. It started its existence as the seat of the Praetor of the city.
Later it became the seat of the municipal offices and still later the one of the court.
Its construction was commissioned by Ranieri Tinacci. In the 13th century, the building was acquired by neighboring Pisa. In this period, Pisa also bought other properties in the historical center, including the Palazzo Conte.
In the 17th century, a civic tower was added to the structure, but fears that the entire building might collapse, caused the city to order its destruction in 1950.
The latest restoration took place between 1985 and 1989.
The building is L-shaped, and consists of four floors. The coat of arms above the facade is the crest of the city itself. The other crest is the one of the Appiani family, former rulers of the city.